Note 15 - Segment Information
|3 Months Ended|
Sep. 30, 2020
|Notes to Financial Statements|
|Segment Reporting Disclosure [Text Block]||
(15) Segment Information
Our operating segments are aligned with how the Company, including our chief operating decision maker, manages the business. As such, our reportable operating segments are the Wholesale segment and the Retail segment. Our wholesale and retail operating segments represent strategic business areas of our vertically integrated enterprise that operate separately and provide their own distinctive services. This vertical structure enables us to offer our complete line of home furnishings and accents more effectively while controlling quality and cost. We evaluate performance of the respective segments based upon revenues and operating income. Inter-segment transactions result, primarily, from the wholesale sale of inventory to the retail segment, including the related profit margin.
As of September 30, 2020, the Company operated 144 design centers (our retail segment) and our independent retailers operated 157 design centers. Our wholesale segment net sales include sales to our retail segment, which are eliminated in consolidation, and sales to our independent retailers and other third parties. Our retail segment net sales accounted for 78% of our consolidated net sales in the three months ended September 30, 2020. Our wholesale segment net sales accounted for the remaining 22%.
Segment information for the three months ended September 30, 2020 and 2019 is provided below (in thousands):
The entire disclosure for reporting segments including data and tables. Reportable segments include those that meet any of the following quantitative thresholds a) it's reported revenue, including sales to external customers and intersegment sales or transfers is 10 percent or more of the combined revenue, internal and external, of all operating segments b) the absolute amount of its reported profit or loss is 10 percent or more of the greater, in absolute amount of 1) the combined reported profit of all operating segments that did not report a loss or 2) the combined reported loss of all operating segments that did report a loss c) its assets are 10 percent or more of the combined assets of all operating segments.
Reference 1: http://www.xbrl.org/2003/role/disclosureRef